Before deciding on a porcelain crown treatment, you probably have some unanswered questions. At Vero Dental Spa, we want you to feel comfortable with your cosmetic and restorative dental choices, so we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions from our patients. If you are interested in porcelain crowns to restore the function and beauty of your smile, all the information that you need is here.
Crowns have been used as a solution for teeth that have become damaged and decayed for a long time. They sit perfectly over the top of the affected tooth, hiding the tooth completely inside of it, right down to the gum line. Once in place, they restore the shape, strength, and function of the tooth.
In the past, crowns have been created from a variety of materials including gold or stainless steel. Porcelain has the cosmetic benefit of being able to be created in a huge spectrum of shades. This means they can be color-matched to your regular teeth, making them extremely discreet and giving you a natural-looking smile.
Crowns that are made entirely from porcelain are also biocompatible, meaning that there is virtually no risk of gum irritations or allergic reactions, unlike what is commonly seen in patients with metal crowns.
Crowns may be recommended for a variety of reasons, such as:
- You have a tooth that is severely eroded.
- You have a tooth that is severely misshapen or a different size to the others.
- You have a cracked tooth that needs to be held together.
- You have a weakened tooth that is at risk of breaking.
- You are also having a dental bridge – crowns act as anchors, securing them in place.
- You have a tooth that requires a larger filling than is possible. This is usually because parts of the tooth are broken or severely eroded.
- You have a tooth that is severely stained or is discolored through trauma.
- You are having dental implants.