In order for dental implants to be fitted properly, preliminary dental appointments and the actual treatment process will need to take place. If you are one of the 9 to 15% of people in the U.S. that suffer from severe anxiety or phobia about visiting the dentist, then dental implants may seem like an impossible dream. However, with sedation dentistry even the most nervous of patients can enjoy the unique benefits of high quality dental implants.
What is Sedation Dentistry?Many people believe that sedation is purely about eliminating pain from a procedure, but it can also eliminate the emotional distress of dental appointments.
Although people who have been sedated feel no pain during their dental appointment, the focus is primarily on making the patient as calm, relaxed and comfortable as possible so that the dentist can perform the necessary treatments to the highest standard.
There are multiple levels of sedation available, and which is right for you will be determined at your consultation appointment.
- Sedation by inhalation. The lowest level of sedation is usually administered using a mask placed over your nose, which is attached to a tank of nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas. Breathing nitrous oxide will completely relax you, but you will be awake and coherent for the duration of your treatment.
- Oral sedation. The second tier of sedation comes in the form of a pill or tablet, which is taken a short time before your procedure. It is also the most commonly used method of sedation for dental treatments. The exact result varies from person to person, but most patients find that they are extremely drowsy during the procedure. Some may feel like they are dozing off.
- Intravenous sedation. At Vero Dental Spa, we do not offer intravenous sedation. However, sedation drugs that are administered intravenously provide the a deeper and effective level of sedation. While you are still conscious, you might noe realize you are conscious, and you will forget the entire experience.
Why choose dental implants for tooth loss?Dental implants are extremely popular, because of the range of benefits that they offer. The most common benefits include:
- An improved aesthetic appearance
- An immensely high success rate of around 98%
Why sedation dentistry for dental implants?
As we mentioned above, although dental implants are a popular and highly successful solution to the problems with the function and appearance of your teeth, getting them does require a commitment to some extensive dental work. This is because implants are made of multiple components. With that said, several individual processes must happen, in addition to a comprehensive consultation, an examination, and in some cases, imaging appointments.
The first part of dental implant surgery involves the placement of the implant, a titanium post, into your jawbone at a pre-determined location. You might be intimidated by the idea of a surgical visit. Sedation dentistry can help you feel completely relaxed and at ease during the entirety of your dental procedure.
These titanium posts are permanent, and over time they fuse to your jaw bone, creating the ultra-secure foundation of your new smile. You will be fitted with temporary crowns at this appointment, and will need to return several months later to have the final, color-matched crowns fitted and finish your dental implant procedure.
Other reasons for using sedation for dental implants
Sedation is not only for patients who suffer from dental phobia. It is also used successfully to help patients who:
- Have a physical impairment preventing them from sitting still or holding their mouth/jaw open for prolonged periods.
- Have a neurological impairment that prevents them from sitting still or holding their mouth/jaw open for prolonged periods.
- Have a particularly strong gag reflex or sensitive teeth
- Have difficulty relinquishing control
- Are fearful of confined spaces
Once you have dental implants in place, following a robust daily oral routine and regular check-up appointments with our team can help them to last a lifetime. If you would love dental implants, but are scared about going to your dentist, Vero Dental Spa can help you. Our team provides the highest standard of treatment delivered with kindness and compassion. Give us a call at 772-778-5550 to discuss using sedation in your dental care and take the first step towards the smile you deserve.
Sharon was lost most of her teeth due to failure of her old crowns. She was extremely fearful of dentists and wanted a dentist who could provide her with permanent implant options under sedation. After dental reconstruction Sharon can smile with confidence and never worry about wearing dentures.
8AM - 1PM